Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Curse of the Marc by Marc Jacobs Shoes

This past spring I took my boyfriend out to look for more flat-front pants. I had recently introduced him to the flat-front pant (one thing at a time--it took me a year to get rid of some hideous jeans) and was delighted to hear he wanted more. Unfortunately, he has limited patience when it comes to fashion and while I would have stood at the register all afternoon while the salesclerk called every Macy's in Chicagoland, my boyfriend decided he'd just get pants another day. On our way out I convinced him to stop by the shoe department. The great thing about Chicago Macy's is that they used to be Marshall Field's so they have much nicer stuff, including one of my favorite brands: Marc by Marc Jacobs. I saw this fun pair and tried it on (the best thing about being a size 6 is they are usually the display size).



A sale sticker indicated they were $147, down from $295, which actually sounded a little cheap for MJ b/c they are usually in the $300-400 range. So I leave them with my boyfriend & his crossword puzzle while I look around at the other shoes and when I came back the shoe salesman had brought out the box for them. I decide to get them but I notice the price on the box says $470.

Up at the counter I wait for the salesclerk to give some shoes to another customer and talk to two other salesmen who mention that they just got those shoes, so it's strange if they are already on clearance. The sales guy comes back, rings the shoes up, and says, $515. I was like, huh? He repeats $515. He had been joking around earlier, so I thought he was joking again. I wait for the punchline, but it doesn't come. The guy must have thought I was an idiot, cause he's like, "the shoes. five hundred. and fifteen dollars." The other sales guy comes to my rescue and we open the box to see the clearance price. Yeah, someone messed up. The shoes weren't even supposed to be on sale. But they have to give them to me as marked, so the guy scans the sale price and I pay $160. The second sales guy even takes out his cell phone to take a picture of the shoes with the sales price so my sales guy doesn't get in trouble for selling them to me at that price. I practically ran out of the store before they changed their minds.

But what do I wear these shoes with? I bought a beige Isaac Mizrahi dress from Target that is my go-to dress for these shoes. I've also tried to get a DVF dress, but unfortunately the one that looks totally fab with them doesn't go with my hips. I bought a size 4 from Shopbop and returned it & tried a 6 from Saks, but unfortunately it's just the shape of the dress (ok, fine. and the fact that I need to lose 15 pounds). Here is the look that I wish fit me:

Diane von Furstenberg at ShopStyle



I cannot find a matching green sweater to save my life--I bought and returned at least 3 sweaters. Great shoes, great bargain, but they spend more time sitting in my shoe closet than they do on my feet.

No comments: